While preparing to close your swimming pool at the end of Summer you may be wondering what chemicals you put in the pool? There's an easy way to close your pool for the Winter that even makes opening it back up the following Spring easier and faster!
When to Close (and Open) Your Swimming Pool
Before discussing how to make closing your pool easier than you ever thought possible (just wait, it really is so easy), it's a good idea to understand WHEN to close your pool.
Algae is less active in colder water and more active in warmer water.
For this reason, it is always better to close your pool later in the season when it's already getting colder out, rather than earlier in warm weather.
Think of early-season closing as an invitation for algae having a late-season party in your pool just to trap it in there all winter. In case you didn't know, algae is a party animal; the-more-the-merrier type. So that party is just going to get bigger and bigger until it's time for Spring cleaning.
The earlier you close a pool the more likely the pool is to open up with algae issues, especially if there's a good bit of warm Autumn weather after your pool is closed.
This is important to be aware of in reverse as well. Open your pool early, not late, to help avoid having a closed pool during an early spring heatwave. A good guideline is: if you can plant your garden, your pool should be open.
Winterizing Chemicals: 3 Easy Steps
Okay, here it is! Are you excited?! Pool chemicals made easy!
- Simply use 1lb (or 2 scoops) of E-Z POOL for every 5k gallons of water in your pool. Use our handy dandy Gallon Calculator to help out!
- Circulate the pool for 30 minutes before to closing it.
- Enjoy your winter and when Spring rolls around, open your pool! For best results, use Revive!, vacuum, and clean your pool.(See before and after Revive! images here).
BONUS: When paired with Pool Frog mineral system, you can reduce your chlorine tablet consumption to 0%! and with the cost of chlorine tablets still at an all time high, it's a great time to switch over to fresh mineral water. Read more here.
What is E-Z POOL
E-Z POOL simplifies seasonal pool closings for traditional chlorine, bromine, mineral, or even saltwater pools. If your pool is already on the E-Z POOL plan year round- then you already know how simple this is going to be.There is no pre-treating or other chemicals needed. In case you missed that, I'll repeat it. There is no pre-treating or other chemicals needed. This right here is what makes E-Z POOL stand out initially. You do not have to be an expert at water chemistry or spend money on pool services because it's easy enough to do on your own without having to measure out the right amount of each chemical needed for that ideal water balance.
However, what makes E-Z POOL the clear winner overall the effect it has on your water. E-Z POOL oxidizes contaminants, prevents algae, and controls stain and scale through the winter season. All of this makes Spring opening faster because your water will be clearer which means you'll be able to swim sooner!
E-Z Pool closes your pool faster and more effectively than multi-product kit which saves you time and money by only having to use one product to winterize your pool. It is also longer lasting than traditional winter kits.
E-Z Pool can be used on chlorine, bromine, salt, mineral, UV and all E-Z POOL treated pools. It is perfect for all pool types – inground / above ground pool with or without solid or mesh covers
A 5-lb Bucket of E-Z Pool treats 20,000 gallons of pool water.
Don't let the thought of closing your pool make you queasy, just make it E-Z!
Use our handy dandy Gallon Calculator to help out!
Additional Winterizing Tips When Closing Your Pool
- Begin by testing your water and making sure that your pH, Total Alkalinity, and Calcium hardness is all balanced.
- Add a winterizing chemical kit to your pool. Make it easy!
- Make sure that you have drained all of your pipes and pool plumbing as water expands when it freezes and can cause your pipes to burst. You can blow the water out from these plumbing lines by using a shop vac or by backwashing the pool filter.
- Lower the water level below the skimmer and plug the return lines.
- Make sure all pool equipment is removed from the pool and cleaned.
- Place a winter cover or safety cover over your pool. Here's more information on winter pool safety!
- Add air pillows to protect your pool walls as needed.
- Place a cover pump in the middle of the pool cover to drain any water that might accumulate on the cover.
More? You got it!
Additional resources on winterizing you swimming pool are just a click away!
- IS A WINTER POOL COVER NECESSARY?
- HOW TO FREEZE-PROTECT YOUR POOL THIS WINTER
- POOL SAFETY COVERS VS. WINTER POOL COVERS: WHICH COVER SHOULD I GET?
- HOW TO WINTERIZE YOUR POOL
- MESH VS. SOLID SAFETY COVERS: WHICH TYPE IS RIGHT FOR MY SWIMMING POOL?
- DOES MY POOL NEED A STANDARD OR A CUSTOM SAFETY COVER?
- OPEN YOUR POOL SOONER (AND A LOT EASIER) WITH POOL FROG AND EZ POOL
- MAKE KEEPING YOUR POOL CLEAN AND CLEAR EASY WITH EZ POOL!
- CHLORINE SHORTAGES + PRICE INCREASES LEAD TO ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS
- HOW TO CLEAN A MURKY GREEN POOL FAST WITH REVIVE!