One of the main requirements when maintaining a swimming pool sand filter is to regularly backwash the filter. This helps remove the sediment and other items filtered by the sand, so your filter can work at its optimal efficiency.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you turn the pump off each time you turn the multiport valve. That valve cannot be turned with pump running.
- Turn pool pump off
- Turn multiport valve to backwash
- Make sure to open backwash gate valve if you have one
- Turn pump back on and run it for approximately 2 minutes or until sight glass is clear
- Turn pool pump off.
- Turn multiport to rinse
- Turn pump on and run about 1/2 to 1 minute
- Turn pump back off
- Turn multiport valve to filter
- Close backwash gate valve if you have one
- Check pool water level, add more water if needed
- Start pump for normal filtering
We recommend backwashing your filter weekly or once the pressure increases 8-10 PSI.